In summer, your biggest care should be about how many guests are coming to your summer party, and not how to deal with high utility bills, a rotted deck, or a broken appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Orlando is prevention. By inspecting and resolving small issues, you can guard against bigger, more expensive problems in the future. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you stay on top of your home’s maintenance before larger problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is a great time in Orlando to work on your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep the heat out and your utility bills low. Begin by inspecting your windows and doors for leaks that let air in. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace brittle weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any missing pieces or cracks and replace the cracked sections.
Installing energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way you can reduce your utility bill - and perhaps even get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters lower the transfer of air through your window’s glass. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which many homes currently use.
2. Spruce Up Your Porches And Patios
If you want to throw parties on your porch or patio during the summer, ensure it’s prepared for your guests. Start by checking your patio or deck for safety. Look around to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that need to be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then seal or stain your deck and patio to make it look like new again and protect it from the summer sun and rain.
After you’ve replaced or repaired any broken boards and areas and stained your patio, it’s time to make it shine. Make your doors and windows next to your patio and deck more interesting by installing window treatments like plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors or sidelight shutters. Then bring in your favorite patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Finally, landscape around your patio or porch to bring nature into the space.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a stop to your fun summer plans. Here’s a few things to check for with your major appliances to keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your energy bill by making your fridge work harder. It’s easy to unclog them by vacuuming them. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any leaks or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. The last step is to clean out the filter (located under the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any cracks, leaks, or bulges. Replace the hoses if needed. Once a year, you should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent or have a professional do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a carefree summer. And if you want to give your house a new look this year with window treatments for your patios, kitchens, or bedrooms, browse through our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 407-630-7011. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Orlando and do all the measuring and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.